This is a recipe I have been wanting to make for a while.. I was introduced to chicken tortilla soup about a month ago (I know, living under a rock). And as soon as I had my first bite, I was hooked! I would have to say the recipe that I followed turned out not very spicy, so I will definitely be adding some spiciness when I heat up the leftovers!
What you need:
- 3 (hearty sized) boneless and skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 can Black Beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 can Red Kidney Beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups Corn
- 3 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 cups Water
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 tablespoon Chile Powder
- 1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon Parsley Flakes
- Cayenne Pepper to taste (or your favorite spicy add-in!)
- For Topping: Shredded Mexican Cheese, and Chips
Step 1: Boil your chicken until no longer pink in the middle and shred into little pieces.
Step 2: While you are waiting for your chicken to cook, add all the remaining ingredients into a big pot and bring to a boil, then let simmer.
Step 3: Add your chicken to your soup mixture and either serve or continue to simmer for 15 minutes (you don’t need to wait that long, but the longer you wait while it simmers, the more flavor is incorporated into the chicken).
Serve with cheese, chips, even sour cream if you like! Enjoy your chicken tortilla soup!
- Chicken Tortilla Soup (mnrwblog.wordpress.com)
- Chicken Tortilla Crockpot Soup (dghealthandwellness.wordpress.com)
- Chicken Tortilla Soup (sewyoucancook.wordpress.com)
- Weekend Recipe: Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup (kcet.org)