So believe it or not I really did intend on following a recipe for this meal… but then I realized I didn’t have chicken, kale, or quinoa, which is what the recipe called for. You can find that recipe clicking here. Instead I used turkey meat, spinach, and rice… still tasted delicious! Here is what I did:
What you need:
- 1 cup Rice
- 1 lb Ground Turkey Meat (or ground beef if you prefer)
- 1 15oz can Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1+1/2 cup Corn
- 1/2 cup Spinach, finely chopped
- 1 cup Salsa (I used hot)
- 1 cup Tomato Sauce
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder (I know.. that’s a lot of garlic powder)
- 3 cups Cheese, divided in half. (I used a mix of Mexican blend cheese and Cheddar)
Step 1: Brown your meat and cook your rice. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 X 13 baking dish with cooking spray and set to the side.
Step 2: Chop your spinach and put in a medium sized bowl, set aside. Then mix all other ingredients together in a large bowl (mix only 1 1/2 cups of cheese).
Step 3: Once meat is browned add it into the large bowl. And when the rice is finished, and still hot, add the rice into the bowl with the spinach. Mix both bowls well!
Step 4: Add the rice and spinach mixture into the large bowl and combine.
Step 5: Pour the mixture into your baking dish and gently press down to form an even layer. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of the meat and rice!
Step 6: Pop the casserole into the oven and bake for 30 minutes uncovered.. almost done!
Step 7: DIG IN AND ENJOY!
You could eat this as is, but we served this dish with some extra salsa, lettuce and chips!
Seriously, everyone is going to ask for seconds, and cry when there aren’t any leftovers!
- Healthy Breakfast for Dinner Enchiladas or Scramble (tiggerusa2001.wordpress.com)
- Tacos… (simplymoderndance.com)
- Cheesy Chicken & Spinach Casserole (morethanakitchen.wordpress.com)
- Taco Casserole (diethood.com)
- Taco Tot Casserole (ashmcdonald.wordpress.com)