I’ve been meaning to make a tasty (yet healthy… of course) snack for easy grabbing and snacking on the go. So I whipped up a batch of these Chocolate Chunks Meet Peanut Butter Energy Bars! Once you try these, you’ll understand the name.
These are super easy to make… they require no baking (isn’t that nice for a change?) and they don’t require a ton of ingredients.
What you will need:
- 2 cups Rice Crispies
- 1 cup Oat Flour (packed) I can’t say I’ve ever had oat flour on hand… but to make this you grind oats in a food processor until all the oats have turned into a flour texture. (measure your cup after you process the oats)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips (I would suggest using mini chocolate chips, but I didn’t have any. So since I had my food processor out already, I just threw some in there and chopped them up a little finer that way)
- a dash (or 2) of Rainbow Sprinkles
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup Creamy Peanut Butter (I always use Honey Peanut Butter).. you could probably use chunky peanut butter too.
- 2/3 cup Honey
Step 1: Combine all your dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. (Process your oats first if you don’t already have oat flour.. I’m not judging if you don’t. And also chop up your chocolate chips so that they disperse easier throughout the batter.) I add sprinkles into this recipe because it just makes the bars look more fun and adds color to them. In the words of my friend Dani “They just make these bars”.
Step 2: Combine all the wet ingredients in a large bowl. Mix until you get a thin paste.
Step 3: Pour your dry ingredients into your large bowl (wet ingredients). Mix until everything is well incorporated (there are no dry ingredients that haven’t been covered by the paste).
Step 4: Take your pan (I used a 9X13 pan, because I like my bars a little thinner) But if you want thicker bars, then use a smaller pan!) But whichever pan you decide to use, line it with wax paper and make the sheet 2 times the size of the pan, you are going to need to fold it over the top of the bars. (I didn’t have any wax paper so I had to use foil.. this works too, but I prefer using wax paper) Pour the batter on the bottom and spread it out evenly.
Step 5: Fold the extra wax paper over the top of the batter and smoosh, smoosh, SMOOSH your chocolate chucks-meet-peanut butter-energy bars! The more you crush the bars down the better they hold together (and the better they taste). Using a 9X13 inch pan yielded some pretty thin bars.. so I may go a little smaller in pan size next time. This is a good step to have your super strong husband help with 😉
Step 6: Throw those puppies in the fridge (or freezer if you want to eat them sooner.. I wouldn’t blame you!) until they harden up. 30 Minutes should be enough time.. I forgot about them for a while and so I didn’t pull mine out until a couple hours had passed.
Step 7: Lift up the top of the wax paper (or foil) and cut into squares! This recipe yields 12 squares (which go by faster than you think… you may want to consider doubling up on your recipe.) Spencer and I had friends over last night, and before these bars could make it to the next day half of them were gone!
To Store: Wrap each individual bar in wax paper or plastic wrap and pop back in the fridge!
Enjoy your Chocolate Chunks Meet Peanut Butter Energy Bars!
- How to make your own energy bars (adigitalreid.wordpress.com)
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookie Bars (emuseats.wordpress.com)